What are bed bugs?
The common bed bug (Cimexlectularius Linnaeus 1758) is an ectoparisite insect (a parasite which lives on the outside of the body of the host) of the family Cimicidae.
Bed bugs feed only on the blood of humans and other warm-blooded hosts. Although bed bugs have a cryptic behavior and can conceal themselves in tight cracks and crevices, bed bugs are often found in bed parts, such as mattresses and box springs, hence the common name.
Bed Bugs Life Cycle
Bed Bug bite images and bed bugs symptoms
Although bed bugs can dine on any warm-blooded animal, they primarily dine on humans. Bed bugs do not transmit diseases, but their bites can become red, itchy welts.
Bed bug bites do not hurt; bites may result in an itchy welt which causes discomfort and can lead to secondary infection of the bite wound due to scratching.
Treating the bites soothes the irritation, but it can still be very distressing when there are multiple bites which sometimes occur with bed bugs.
Bed Bug Detection and Prevention
Bed bugs signs and how to rid bed bugs?
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Regularly inspect areas where pets sleep for signs of bed bugs.
- Change your bed linens often. Inspect bedding for shed bed bug skins and blood spots
- Inspect hotel rooms before you settle in. Set your luggage away from walls and furniture, including the bed.
- Check your bedsheets for tell-tale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trashbag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual inspections.
- When you get home from travelling, inspect your suitcase. Store clothes in a sealed plastic bag until they can be washed and dried on high heat.
- Examine secondhand furniture before bringing it home or even better never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of a bed bug infestation. You might consider having a pest control professional inspect the furniture as it is difficult to detect an infestation if you are untrained.
- If you suspect you have bed bugs, don’t just sleep in a different room. This just expands the bed bugs territory.
- It is imperative to seek professional pest control to address a bed bug infestation. Bed bugs are hard to make rid of and they are definitely not a DIY project.
Thanks for reading
As usual hope this helps, leave a comment or questions, you can even propose a topic for my blog.